- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett suffered a hamstring injury in the team’s Week 5 victory over the Washington Redskins. The Patriots do not believe the injury to be serious. Following the release of Antonio Brown earlier this season, Dorsett seemed to again be tagged for a significant role. His absence would likely mean an uptick in snaps for Jakobi Meyers and Matthew Slater. The real beneficiary of a Dorsett absence would likely be the various receiving RBs on the roster. It is also possible that Edelman and Gordon could see a couple of additional targets.
- Jaguars TE James O’Shaughnessy injured his knee in the team’s Week 5 loss to the Carolina Panthers. It was later revealed that the TE had suffered a torn ACL which will end his season. The Jaguars will turn towards former Cowboy Jeff Swaim for an even bigger role. The team will also be looking forward to the return of promising rookie Josh Oliver. Jacksonville has yet to produce many fantasy points for the TE position but the potential is undeniably there with rookie QB Gardner Minshew piling up the points. Oliver is a nice stash to see how he develops once he returns to action.
- Pittsburgh QB Mason Rudolph suffered a brutal concussion in the team’s heartbreaking overtime loss to the division rival Ravens. Rudolph was sandwiched between a pair of Ravens players and knocked unconscious. He lay on the field for quite some time before being carried off by hand when the team cart did not work. This was a sad scene for a multimillion-dollar organization. It would be quite surprising for Rudolph to make it back for Pittsburgh’s Week 6 matchup with the Los Angeles Chargers. The Steelers will likely be forced to turn to 3rd string QB Devlin Hodges. The UDFA will be thrown directly into the fire in a road contest and will be a sizable downgrade for the Pittsburgh skill players.
- Pittsburgh WR James Washington was forced from the week 5 matchup against Baltimore with an injured shoulder. He was the second Oklahoma State player to be knocked out of the game following his former college QB Mason Rudolph. It was shaping up to be the best game of the season for the young receiver. Washington had corralled 3 of 6 targets for 52 yards before being knocked out. There has not been any update as to the severity of the injury from the team since the end of the game. I would not anticipate the injury being overly serious. However, Pittsburgh is going nowhere fast and will likely be cautious with his progress. If he misses time look for the Steelers to promote Donta Moncrief back to the active roster to play alongside JuJu Smith-Schuster and Diontae Johnson.
- Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins exited Sunday night football early with a hamstring injury. Here we go again with Sammy as he is once again suffering from a soft tissue injury. Tragically Sammy just cannot seem to put together a full healthy season. He is a player who has immense talent when on the field but seems destined to miss chunks of every season he plays. Kansas City is already down Tyreek Hill and Watkins’ absence was noticeable in this one. If he is unable to get back healthy for the team’s Week 6 matchup with Houston look for Byron Pringle to fill his role alongside Mecole Hardman and Demarcus Robinson.
- Chiefs QB Patrick Maholmes injured his left ankle in the team’s first loss of the season against the Colts. The MVP didn’t miss a snap and will likely not miss next week’s game but any time a player of this caliber is nicked up it a situation to monitor as the week progresses.
- Giants RB Wayne Gallman was knocked out of the team’s loss to the Vikings with a concussion. Gallman had filled in admirably for the all-world talent Saquon Barkley the previous week and seemed to be off to a decent start with 2/14/0 on his first couple carries, but it was not to be. Barkley seems to be on a mission to beat the odds and get back well ahead of the team’s initial timetable for his high ankle sprain. If Gallman is unable to gain clearance before next week’s contest Barkley could get his wish and an early return to action. If neither player is able to suit up look for UDFA Jon Hillman to get the start.
- Giants WR Sterling Shephard suffered a concussion in the team’s loss to the Vikings. This is the young playmaker’s second known concussion of the year. Head injuries are nothing to trifle with and the Giants seem as if they are going to take things slow with their young WR. Multiple concussions in a short span will likely mean a potentially lengthy absence. In his place, the Giants will turn to the newly activated Golden Tate to carry the WR corps. He will be supplemented by rookie Darius Slayton along with vet Cody Latimer and likely a free-agent addition.
- Carolina RB Christian McCaffrey was not in for the team’s final two drives of their victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The team reported after the game that the superstar was dealing with cramps. In his place 2nd year RB Reggie Bonnafon had 5/80/1. McCaffrey seems to have escaped healthy but with his heavy usage, it might be a good idea to stash away Bonnafon in case the immense workload catches up with this stud.
- The NFC North seems to have escaped the weekend with no new fantasy-relevant injuries on the offensive side of the ball.
- Rams WR Brandin Cooks was injured in the team’s Week 5 loss to the division-rival Seahawks. He was evaluated for a concussion after making a brilliant catch along the sidelines in the second half of the contest. Cooks seems to be well on his way to yet another 1,000-yard campaign. It was hard to tell if Cooks suffered a concussion or had the wind knocked out of him on the play as he was driven to the ground from behind with the ball trapped beneath his torso on the play. If Cooks is unable to go next week it would be a bump for Robert Woods alongside Cooper Kupp with Josh Reynolds filling out the starting lineup. I would also anticipate a continued uptick for the young TE Gerald Everett who has put up back-to-back quality games.
Thank you for reading this article! Please be sure to join the #Nerdherd so you don’t miss out on any of the amazing things we have to offer @Dynastynerds.com. Follow me @ReflipeWThenuz for more dynasty content and other musings.
Get the Edge – Join the #NERDHERD
- Dynasty Nerds - Champion Hoodie 54.99$ – 56.99$
- #Nerdherd Pennant | Trucker Cap 25.99$ – 26.99$
- #Nerdherd Pennant/Front and Badge/Back - American Apparel T-Shirt 32.00$ – 36.50$
- #Nerdherd Badge Members Only | American Apparel Long sleeve t-shirt 29.99$ – 31.99$
- #Nerdherd Members Only - American Apparel T-Shirt 28.99$ – 32.99$