To say that Patrick Mahomes is a superstar is an understatement. Mahomes, since week one, has taken the league by storm and will likely be this season’s MVP. I also believe that it is likely that most people will have him as QB1 for both dynasty and redraft leagues in 2019. All of that is well and good but what if I told you that the majority of the dynasty fantasy community is still too low on him. I believe, unequivocally, that he is the most valuable fantasy asset.
Now before you write me off as a loon and close out of this article, hear me out. There are 3 main reasons I have come to this conclusion.
- The Chiefs Offense – This offense features the best tight end in the game and the best field stretcher in Kelce and Hill, respectively. You would be hard pressed to find a better WR/TE duo in the league. On top of that, Andy Reid is also a coach that loves to air it out and isn’t afraid to allow his guy to go make plays. Although the unfortunate depature of Kareem Hunt seems like it hurts Mahomes stock, he has been just as good as good against Okaland, Baltimore and San Deigo. Going forward it will likely only ensure that he throws more near the goal line and that a running back on this team doesn’t cut into Mahomes workload.
- He is a 23 year old QB – Let’s rewind back to the start of the 2008 season and do a case study of Aaron Rodger’s first season at starter. What if I told you could have any running back or wide receiver through the 2018 season or you could have Rodgers. The young studs RB you would have considered at draft time that year would have been Adrain Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, LenDale White, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Maurice Jones-Drew, Joseph Addai , Reggie Bush and Laurence Maroney. The star receivers under consideration were guys like Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Marques Colston, Dwayne Bowe, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Greg Jennings. Getting rid of the players that Rodgers easily passed leaves us with Peterson, Lynch and Gore at RB and Marshall, Fitz, Andre Johnson and Megatron at WR. During the past 10 years, only 2 of those players were top 10 at their position 6 years or more; Calvin Johnson (6) and Adrian Peterson (7). Aaron Rodgers was top 3 in 7 of those 10 seasons. Let’s also not forget that Rodgers sat the bench for 3 seasons and still has another 3-5 season left in him. All that being said, Mahomes has the talent to be just as good and he will be on your roster for a longggggg time.
- His play is on another level – We are seeing Mahomes do things that no other QB has done at his age. The only season that even truly compares is Manning’s epic first year in Denver. On top of that, as far as the young QB’s go, none can currently hold a candle to what Mahomes is doing. Sure, guys like Goff, Wentz, Watson, Mayfield etc. show tons of promise, but to say at this point that they are even close to his level is a gross misnomer.
Look, if you have players Barkley, Gurley, Nuk, OBJ or Michael Thomas at 1 overall, I get it and there is a good argument to be made for them as well. However, let’s not all suffer from fantasy football group think and at least do our homework before deciding. If you have a guy like Todd Gurley you could likely trade him for Mahomes and a 2109 first round pick without the Gurley owner blinking and eye. Yes, I’m sure that the price for Mahomes is really high in your league, but I doubt it’s high enough.
Get the Edge – Join the #NERDHERD
- Embroidered Champion Bomber Jacket 58.95$ – 67.45$
- #Nerdherd Pennant | Trucker Cap 25.99$ – 26.99$
- #Nerdherd Members Only | Unisex Fleece Hoodie 39.99$ – 41.99$
- Dynasty Nerds Pom-Pom Beanie 22.50$
- Dynasty Nerds Embroidered Champion Packable Jacket 49.00$ – 52.00$